Zagreb, May 29, 2009 – A month-long program to mark Sava River Day, which will be carried out in four Croatian cities on the Sava River – Zagreb, Sisak, Slavonski Brod and Županja – in June, was introduced in Zagreb today. The organisers of the program are the International Commission for the Sava River Basin, the Ministry of Regional Development, Forestry and Water Management as well as Coca‑Cola HBC Croatia.
The aim of the Sava River Day celebration, which is organised for the second time in Croatia, is to raise awareness about the importance of the Sava River for all aspects of life of people living along the Sava River in Croatia, from social, over ecological to economic aspects. Marking Sava River Day will also remind us about the abundance and variety of activities that took place along the Sava River in the past.
In order to celebrate Sava River Day, a rich program with the name Our Beautiful Sava will be carried out throughout June, which will include the following events:
- Monday, June 1 – SAVA RIVER DAY – Second meeting of the parties of the Framework Agreement about the Sava River Basin which will be held in Belgrade
- Tuesday, June 2 – exactly at noon, canoe rides will begin in Zagreb and Sisak and with the Sava boat in Slavonski Brod, while a letter of intention about the founding of a canoe club will be signed at the City Administration in Županja. The Končar Canoeing Club from Zagreb, the Odra Kayaking Club from Sisak and the Marsonija Kayaking and Canoeing Club from Slavonski Brod contributed to the organisation of this synchronous event
- Saturday, June 6 – SAVA FAIR in Zagreb on the Sava embankment next to Boćarski dom from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday, June 13 – SAVA FAIR in Sisak close to the Old Town from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday, June 20 – SAVA FAIR on Slavonski Brod’s Korzo from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and
- Saturday, June 27 – SAVA FAIR in Županja on the Sava promenade from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Sava fairs will present a traditional gastronomic offer, trades and customs related to life on the Sava River in cities along the Sava River, while a photo exhibition with the title “Life on the Sava River through the Centuries”, which was put together in cooperation with the Sisak City Museum, the Brodsko Posavlje Museum, the Stjepan Gruber Native Museum in Županja and the Končar Canoeing Club from Zagreb, will be arranged as well.
The importance of the Sava River for the life of people in Croatia and the promotion of the return of social and economic activities on the Sava River, along with the preservation of its environment and bio diversity has also been recognised by representatives from institutions on a local level – the city administrations of Sisak, Slavonski Brod and Županja as well as the tourism boards of Zagreb, Sisak, Slavonski Brod and Županja – and they contributed to the realisation of the Sava River Day celebrations.
The organisers were also joined in their promotion of Sava River Day by the supermarket chain Plodine, which will call on people throughout June to RETURN TO THE SAVA RIVER!
For more information, please contact:
Public Affairs and Communications Manager
Coca‑Cola HBC Croatia
Phone number: +385 1 2480 247
Mobile phone: +385 98 322 825